Sunday, September 27, 2026

Gedling MW 1-4 Radford FC


32,000 spectators file out of the Hillsborough Stadium after a 0-0 draw. Sticky Palms doesn't do blankety blanks. It's the BLOG strapline. It's only the second time I've revisited Sheffield Wednesday's ground since the 1989 FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest. 97 people were crushed to death. The FA allowed a game to be played at a stadium where the safety certificate was out of date. High steel perimeter fences, erected in the 70s and 80s, were removed as part of the Taylor Report recommendations.


During the game I stared from my seat, high up in The Kop, towards the Leppings Lane End where the tragedy unfolded. I have never erased from my mind the awful events that happened that day. We weren't offered counselling. Just crack on folks with your British stiff, upper lip. A few years ago a small group of us from Nottingham walked 26 miles around the streets and landmarks of Liverpool to raise monies for the survivors, supporters and families of the bereaved, to help cover the costs of any counselling or specialised help that is still needed to this day.

I'm directed to Hillsborough Interchange by some friendly Owls' supporters. After an age, a tram finally rocks up. I arrive at Sheffield train station with 60 seconds spare before my Northern train departs for Nottingham. There's time for a swift pint of a Two by Two real ale at the Cock and Hoop on my return to the 'Queen of the Midlands.'


Strictly Come Dancing is on the TV set back at HQ. I ask Ms Moon where Len Goodman and Brendan Cole are. She says Len retired years ago and has since passed away, and that Cole was dropped from the show in 2018. I loved Len, but thought Cole was always a bit flash, big time and cocksure.

Sunday lunch is taken at the highly-rated Woodlark Inn, in the village of Lambley. The pub's fish is sourced from Cornwall, but it also boasts of 'wonderful Sunday lunches.' It's served up on the smallest plate in the world. There is one large piece of beef, one roast potato and a spoonful of mash. I would have kicked off at the stingy portions (£24 if you're asking) but didn't want to embarrass Ms Moon or the friendly waiting staff. I settle up the bill minus the 10% service charge which I usually cough up without a fuss. 


It's Tuesday and I am having some tea in Five Guys, a fast food chain restaurant that first opened in Virginia, USA, back in 1986. I wander over to MSR News HQ, on Angel Row, to buy a bag of barley sugars to take away the taste that's left from the gherkins, that were on the juicy burger.  Head honcho, Mick McMurdoch is manning the fort. We exchange pleasantries before I head over Market Square towards Hockley.

The film Pressure is showing at Broadway this evening. I've had a keen interest in Group Captain James Stagg since visiting the pub that was named after him, Staggs (The Volunteer Arms) in Musselburgh, Scotland. 


Stagg was a Scottish meteorologist, who was attached to the RAF during the Second World War. He changed the course of history by famously persuading General Eisenhower to delay the D-Day landings due to stormy weather arriving on the day of planned invasions. It's a fantastic 100 minutes running time, packed with tension and drama.

It's Friday morning and the proprietors of the Hungry Pumpkin cafe are removing the shutters and setting up for opening, as I stroll through the door. I enjoy a bacon and egg cob accompanied with a couple of hash browns. I wash it down with a piping hot Americano, as Love Me Again by John Newman is played on Pumpkin FM.


Tony Mac and I board the 8.50 EMR train to London St Pancras. At 11 a.m. on the dot, we're necking our first drink of the day at the White Swan. It's a half pint of Master Brew, from Shepherd Neame,  who are based in Faversham, Kent. We're close to Bethnal Green where Fleetwood Mac band member Peter Green and Cheryl Baker from Bucks Fizz were both born. The boxer Charlie Magri, footballer Vinny Samways and EastEnders actress Patsy Palmer also grew up in the area.

We meet up with Coops, Harris and Ackers. One of our band of brothers is absent today. We miss his humour and beer knowledge. Get well soon pal, we all love you and miss you. 16x pubs are ticked off. My favourite pub building is The Perseverance. The beer from Twickenham Fine Ales is a beauty too.


I don't sleep well on Friday night. I'm up at 7 am overdosing on coffee. I pop some records round to Casually Dan who is on the decks at Carlton Town's top of the table clash versus Sutton Coldfield Town. I want my collection to go to a good home. It's an early doors trip to the worst supermarket in Western Europe. Rick Astley's 'Never Gonna Give You Up' is on Radio Tesco - I would give up these buffoons in the blink of an eye if Morrisons, in Netherfield, was a bit nearer to home.

The rest of the morning is spent in the garden and garage, either cutting the lawn, weeding or tidying up. I pop back in the house for a brew. Gordon Ramsay is kicking off again on USA Kitchen Nightmares. Staff at a family diner are in tears as Gordon loses his rag. 


I've chosen the Gedling v Raddy match over Carlton today, as I never like missing this fixture. Ms Moon drops me off as she is going to the gym adjacent to the ground. There's no sign of Big Glenn in the clubhouse. I usually enjoy watching him filling out the team sheet as he has the neatest handwriting in the United Counties Premier League.

Everything becomes crystal clear on my walk around the ground. Big Glenn is back in the dugout as the manager is on holiday. Physio, Shoey, confirms that the Head Honcho is taking his duties very seriously. He has been at the ground since 12.20 and has fired up his troops with a Winston Churchill speech in the changing rooms.


I stand with Faggsy away from the dugouts and noisy, quick-witted Radford following They score a brilliant opening goal. It's greeted by the Raddy faithful with the song: "Radford is full of fun, it's full of Crack, Asda and Prossies, oh Radford is full of fun". There's nothing funny about Gedling's equaliser. The smirk is erased from the Big Lad's face as a comedy of errors at the back sees a shot nestle in the back of an empty net. Radford score another goal from a beautifully crafted passage of play.

Faggsy reports on bad news reaching us from Trent Bridge. Cheating Yorkshire have beaten Notts by one wicket. Jonny 'Angry' Bairstow has hit the winning runs. He loves it down 'The Bridge', does Jonny. I watched the Yorkies trying to con the match officials on Thursday afternoon under Bairstow's stewardship. It was embarrassing and unnecessary.


Big Glenn is caught red-handed sweeping up a handful of potted beef sandwiches in the hospitality area en route to the technical area. As I said to him, the greats like Pep Guardiola and Arsene Wenger never used to sample tapas or snails during a half time break in the Premier League. The game is over minutes later with a firm header at the far post from a peach of a corner. Raddy add a further goal. 4-1 is harsh on Gedling who haven't been bad going forward themselves.

Attendance: 177

Player of the Match: Dorian Sulkowski

Pub of the Week: The Perseverance

Beer of the Week: Mystery of the Galaxies, Twickenham Fine Ales

Best Record Heard on the Radio: Yard Act, You're Going to Need a Little Music

No comments: