Sunday, August 13, 2023

Notts County 3-2 Grimsby Town


'Casually Dan' navigates his Mini Clubman up the A60, away from Loughborough, towards Nottingham. 'Big Joe' is riding shotgun. I'm in the back seat with Dan's daughter Lily, aged nearly 7 years old. Quorn AFC and Carlton Town will lock horns again in three days time, in an FA Cup replay at Stoke Lane. We finish the evening up at The Brickyard, a Lincoln Green watering hole up on Carlton Hill. I enjoy a pint of High Hoppage, a tropical and mango pale ale.

Ms Moon and I chillout on Sunday. I spend the afternoon knocking up the first blog of the 20th season of The Groundhopper, whilst listening to a double bill of Radcliffe and Maconie, the best radio show on Earth. The blog is well received on social media. I'm chuffed to bits as a lot of folk will be on holiday and out of the country.


It's Tuesday teatime. I've enjoyed a day off from newsagent (Norris Cole) duties. Today has been an admin day. The first call of the afternoon is to OVO, my energy supplier. I'm fully wound up with the expectation of being put on hold for an age. Amazingly the phone only rings out once before it's answered. I've recently found out, having created an online account, that we're £500 in credit. These estimated bills are a load of old tosh, aren't they? I ask for the money to be transferred into the bank.

Further success is had at Virgin Media, who also pick up an incoming call swiftly. I negotiate a new contract so I can catch the odd Premier League game, but more importantly the Champions League and other UEFA competitions.


I'm feeling quite chuffed with my day's 'work' as I alight the bus at the bottom of Hockley. I cross over the road adjacent to the Chinese restaurant, The Mandarin, formerly a pub back in the day called The Mill, which was a popular meet up place before a sesh in town.

I push open the pub front door of Keans Head, which is located in the Lace Market area of Nottingham city centre. It remains a mystery to me why this wonderful bar isn't in the CAMRA guide. Then again would you trust an organisation that's in bed with Wetherspoons and Greene King?

A couple of Lincoln City fans are settled in the corner of the pub, tucking into one of the fine curries that are flying out of the kitchen. I strike up a conversation with them. I share with the guy that I'm an Imps fan, but explain that I won't be attending tonight's League Cup tie at Meadow Lane versus Notts County. I want to see out the FA Cup replay at Carlton Town.


I receive a WhatsApp message from 'Casually Dan' who is holed up in the King Billy on Manvers Street, in Sneinton. We agree to meet for a swift one at Bunkers Hill before he picks up Lily from cheerleading classes, just around the corner at the rear of the marketplace. Dan is playing a soul DJ set prior to tonight's game. We stroll through the market past The Bath Inn. The owner, Piers Wheatcroft-Baker, is having a smoke outside. He's the son of actor Tom Baker, who played TV's Dr Who.

I part with £10 cash on the gate. DJ Murph is back from his jollies in Majorca and is manning the fort until Dan's arrival. I shout up pie, chips and peas from 'Cafe Catherine' before catching up with a few of the characters this great club throws up.


I'm joined by fellow groundhopper, Jonathan Buttery, who has also been a mate of mine for over 40 years. We used to play cricket together for Keyworth. He is also a Nottingham Forest die hard supporter. We catch up and share with one another what new grounds we are aiming to visit this season.

A decent crowd is beginning to build up, which surprises me as everyone has only really had a few days notice. Carlton start like a house on fire. The visitors struggle to contain the direct running and dribbling skills of Lamin Manneh, who they kept quiet on Saturday, until he swapped flanks.


Former Notts County midfielder Greg Tempest is pulling all the strings in the middle of the park. He was dead unlucky to be released by the Pies a few seasons ago. He was the victim of the revolving managerial door, particularly during the Ray Trew circus era. He puts the Millers ahead with a superbly executed free kick.

Quorn are world class at fouling. The referee is going to be up all night filing his match report with the FA following a flurry of cautions. Another former Pies player, Romello Nangle, puts the Millers two to the good, with a close range header. 


I pop my head into the clubhouse to see how 'The Lincoln' are doing. The Imps are in cruise control, having taken an early lead through highly-rated Irish-born defender Sean Roughan. Quorn huff, puff and foul even more in the second 45 minutes. The Carlton bench becomes frustrated that the referee isn't taking more severe action. Carlton see the game out and avoid any further injuries, following a number of Jackie Chan lunges. The £1,125 winning prize money will be a welcome addition to the club's coffers.

It's Friday morning and I'm loitering inside the West Bridgford branch of MSR Newsagents, chatting to the shopkeeper, friend and work colleague Kieran Harlow. I grab some confectionery and refreshments as a Ford Mondeo pulls up outside Eva's Grill, a Greek restaurant on Radcliffe Road, opposite Trent Bridge Cricket Club.

Drurs is giving me a lift up to Welbeck Cricket Club, which is located a few miles east of Mansfield. Nottinghamshire are playing Hampshire in the 50 over Cup. We pick up 'Horsy' in the village of Tollerton. He's in big trouble with his missus as he's broken the zip on the Fortnum and Mason pack-up bag.


We're all members of Notts CCC, so entry is free, although there is a £5 car park charge at the John Fretwell Sports Complex. It's quite high up where we are and there's a stiff breeze blowing in. Chairs are set up at pitch level and around a grass bank that forms a circle around the ground. It would be a fairly bleak setting on a winter's day, something I've experienced when scouting for the Pies.

We wash down a coffee and walnut homemade cake with a cup of weak coffee in one of the many marquees erected on the ground. Hampshire have been put into bat by Notts. My view is obstructed by a tall, overweight man, who is sporting the biggest hat in Mansfield. I suffer in silence.

Notts look to be in a good position on a slow wicket, but Nick Gubbins scores a patient 119 to see them to a total of 254. Drurs thinks they might be 100 runs short. Notts' attempt at chasing the runs down is pitiful and pathetic. I'm drinking in Junkyard with Tony Mac by 5.45 pm as Notts are rolled out for 163.


The shop is stacked out with folk on Saturday as it's a £11 million lottery rollover. I enjoy some great banter with shop manager Dave 'Chippy' Fryer. We used to have a betting syndicate 25 years ago when we both worked at Calverton Colliery. We've recently restarted the kitty again. I'm quietly confident that Leicester, D***y and Stockport can bring home the bacon today.

I dash home to catch the first half of Arsenal v Forest, only to find the game has been delayed by half an hour. The game looks all over as I switch off the TV set with the Tricky Trees already 2-0 down. I jump off the bus opposite the Ice Centre and dive into a shop for a bottle of water.

It's hosing it down with rain as I dash for cover at Meadow Lane. I chat with a supporter by the memorial wall before walking up the stairs in the Derek Pavis Stand. A lady is sat in my seat. She's somewhat affronted when I ask her to fish out her tickets.


The new sound system is spot on. The pick of the DJ set is 'I'm Not Sorry' by West Yorkshire indie band, The Pigeon Detectives. There's a lively start to the game as both teams go at one another. New signing Dan Crowley has struck up a good understanding with crowd favourite Aaron Nemane. Ironically an error by Nemane sees ex Stag Danny Rose race away before firing home the opening goal. 

On 40 minutes Langstaff sees a point-blank header beaten away by the Grimsby 'keeper. The ball is returned into the box where John Bostock flicks up the ball before blasting home a volley into the roof of the net. Incredibly Grimsby take the lead deep into stoppage time, leaving Notts supporters shaking their head in disbelief.

Gary Lund is the club's guest of honour today. He has played for both clubs. He is asked by the guy on the P.A. who he thinks will win. He turns towards the away following and apologises before saying "Notts County."


Notts are on level terms in the 48th minute after the impressive Jodi Jones' deflected shot balloons up into the air and over a stranded 'keeper. There's another moment of magic from Jones. He flicks a ball around a defender before firing in a cross that is met with a diving header from Crowley at the back post. Oh my giddy aunt, Gary Lund was right. County have come back from behind twice to grab three points.

It's not been a bad old day; there are victories for Lincoln City and Carlton Town. The icing on the cake is that club mascot 'Barton the Dog' has won 4x cans of Fosters and a box of choccies in the half time raffle up in Ponte Carlo. He can't 'arf pick 'em.

Attendance: 12,950 (2,818 visiting supporters)

Man of the Match: Jodie Jones


No comments: