Sunday, August 16, 2020

Tintwistle Athletic 3-2 Stockport Georgians


Ms Moon drops me off outside the hustle and bustle of Nottingham's Creative Quarter in Sneinton Market. There's a buzz and vibe about the place as staff and security set out tables for the sold-out street food event that is put on each week. A DJ is setting up his decks (laptop) as I swing through the iron gates, turning left through the entrance of my usual haunt, Neon Raptor Tap Room.

The heat is sweltering. Sweat drips from my forehead as I sign in for track and trace. A new brewer has been appointed at the world's greatest ever craft ale producer, with the lines beginning to fill with freshly brewed ales that won't be ready until the end of August. It feels like a greenhouse inside as I neck a 6% abv pint of Levitating Tactics. It's packed to the rafters outside in one of the most happening and hipster parts of our city.


I crack open a few more craft ales in the back garden at HQ whilst slouched in a chair on the patio. I rate all the beers on an app called Untappd, which a few of my mates are on, including blog legend John Ramshaw, who as well as being an esteemed connoisseur of beer is also Kettering Town's assistant manager.

I sleep like a log on Saturday night and feel as fresh as a daisy on Sunday morning. Ms Moon and I head down to the Trent Bridge area, south of the river. We stick the car outside the Hubble Bubble bar; named after an Iranian 250-year-old shisha pipe. The world-famous red-painted gates of Nottingham Forest's City Ground are in my eye-line.


Breakfast is spent on an overcast patio at Waterside Bar and Kitchen on the banks of the river. We both hoover up a full English breakfast accompanied by coffee. The other day at home, after breakfast, Ms Moon asked me if I'd dry up the pots. I replied that I was writing another award-winning blog and did she think Mrs John le Carre interrupted John when he was penning another world-class espionage thriller. I ended up washing and drying the pots and clearing up all the broken crockery.

 The 'Wee Man', Bruiser, joins us for a beverage before Ms Moon shoots off to get some shopping in for her mum. Bruiser and I take a stroll down the river towards Iremongers Pond - named after two talented sporting brothers - Albert and James. Albert Iremonger donned the goalkeeping gloves of Notts County on 564 occasions between 1904-1926, as well as playing cricket for Nottinghamshire CCC.


We cross the tram tracks and turn onto the Embankment on the north side of the Trent. The Brewhouse and Kitchen is baking in the sunshine, now it's burnt off the early morning clouds. I enjoy a can of Magic Rock craft ale from Huddersfield in West Yorkshire. We continue lunchtime in the back garden of The Embankment, where 'one of our own' Jesse Boot had his flagship store, outside the city centre, in 1905 - it's now a listed building. I have a paddle of real ales back at the Waterside Bar; it's the final scoop for now as I jump in a taxi and head back home to Carlton.

I cycle from Gamston to Radcliffe-on-Trent with Bruiser and Piers on Monday evening, for a spot of tea at the impressive The Radcliffe gastro pub (Trent Hotel under a previous name) on Shelford Road - it's the sister pub of The Railway Inn in Lowdham. The grub served up is top-notch and so is the ambience in the beautiful beer garden.


I'm back on the bike on Friday evening. I park up in Netherfield and nip to the chemist for some tablets before heading up the Colwick Loop Road and into Colwick Country Park. The estate dates back to the 14th Century - the park itself opened to the public in 1978. I ride down the Trent, through a housing estate and re-enter the park. I stop at a beauty spot and quench my thirst with a cold bottle of water. I hear the sound of children squealing and the splash of water. Teenagers jump off the jetty into the lake despite signs saying 'No Swimming.'

I finish my cycle off with a nosey around the luxury penthouse waterside apartments on Riverside Crescent. Former England and Lazio manager, Sven-Goran Eriksson, lived here for six months back in the 2009-2010 season when he was appointed as Director of Football at Notts County by Munto Finance. It's a toss-up whether to watch Gary Windass get married to gangster's moll, Maria, or the Barca v Bayern quarter-final. I make the right choice as it goes tits up for Windass and the Catalan giants too.


It's Saturday morning and I'm excited for the day that lies ahead - so is Ms Moon, as I've treated her to a hairdo. I grab a coffee and have two slices of toast and marmalade before the Big Man rocks up in the 'Fun Bus.' I chuck my bike into the back and jump in the front seat. Plan of attack today is: Rother Valley Country Park, Bulls Head, Tintwistle for a spot of lunch and a pre-season friendly up at West Drive Football Centre, home to Tintwistle Athletic.

The Big Man loves a bit of Smooth Radio. He shouts out 'toon' when Jenni Falconer plays Paul Young's 'Wherever I Lay My Hat' - I'm more of a Mel Sykes and Alan Carr man, myself. He fiddles with the radio controls, unprompted, switching to Radio 2. Sykes and Carr are playing 'What Ever Gets You Through The Night' by John Lennon- it knocks the spots off Paul Young, folks.


Rother Valley covers 740 acres and has four lakes to pedal around. The land was previously used as opencast for coal. We stop to refuel with coffee before jumping onto the Trans Pennine Trail - part of the National Cycle Network.

The village of Tintwistle is about an hour's drive away - the steep hill and narrow street you enter, off the Woodhead Pass, takes the Big Man by surprise, but he still manages to skillfully navigate the Fun Bus up the tight one-way street.


We're greeted on arrival by pub landlord Mick whose idiosyncracies remind me of Fred Elliott, the butcher off Coronation Street. Mick has enjoyed his time off as a landlord during COVID 19. He seems a bit cheesed off to be back at work. He pours a fine pint of Wainwright golden ale. Mick has a string of belly-aching anecdotes - he's a Mancunian from Wythenshawe and used to be a doorman.

We mop up a couple of fish finger butties. Stanley the 12-year-old border collie is on manoeuvers just like he was the last time I came with Ms Moon. You have to keep your eye on the little blighter, as he'll pinch your food, given half the chance. The Big Man is as happy as Larry now he's been fed and watered. We stand to pay our respects at the War Memorial in the centre of the village before the short journey to the football ground.


Tintwistle is a village in High Peak, Derbyshire and has a population of 1400 people. British fashion designer Dame Vivienne Westwood was born in the village. She is well known for bringing punk and new wave fashions into the mainstream. She had a son with Sex Pistols manager Malcolm McLaren.

The fag end of a reserve game is taking place as we pull up outside the ground. The Club has been brilliant on twitter with information about pre-season fixtures and kick-off times. Club legend, Barry Lawson, a UEFA 'B' licensed coach, has kept in close contact - I owe him a pint if he isn't too busy.


"I like your T-shirt" remarks a lady leaning on a barrier - "I saw them play at The Hacienda in the 80s" she says. I'm wearing a New Order T-shirt and had completely forgotten we're only 13 miles shy of Manchester; home to the band. I mention I missed them in 1984 when they played Nottingham Palais whilst I was sunning myself in Ibiza. Kim is watching her lad play for the ressies. Her little seven-year-old dog, Berni, is flopped out on the grass having forty winks - it's another photo for the Non-League Dogs Twitter and Instagram social sites.

The Big Man and I stand on the far side of the ground, admiring the view up into hills. It's a great little set up with a smart, plush clubhouse, which houses a patio where supporters can watch the game. I must thank those bungling fools at the FA and DCMS for banning spectators from watching football at Step 7 and above. I've now fallen in love with watching village football where lads play with their mates, just for the fun of it.


You can't take your eyes off the game. Tintwistle have already seen a long-range effort cannon back off the woodwork when the visitors take the lead with a pearler of a goal. 14 jacket nutmegs the full-back before whipping in a ball that is blasted, first time, into the roof of the net by the centre forward. The goal takes my breath away. A faux pas by the home 'keeper sees the visitors go further ahead. Tintwistle pull a goal back before half time.

I do another circuit of the ground at the break as the Big Man fails a late fitness test. I earwig the Tintwistle half time team talk. They firmly believe if they press the opposition that the game is there for the taking. The coach is spot on as they complete an impressive comeback to win the game 3-2.

What a smashing day out we've had. 10 miles on the bike, a cracking lunch and a visit to another fantastic, friendly community football club - I can't 'arf pick 'em.

Man of the Match 'Fred Elliott' - the landlord at the Bulls Head, in Tintwistle.

1 comment:

Babs said...

Great read Mr P x