Sunday, September 24, 2023

Nottingham Forest 1-1 Burnley


It's the evening of Friday 9th June. The sun is shining over the Bill Stokeld Stadium, home to the Mighty Millers (Carlton Town). I'm in the beer garden enjoying a few aperitifs with the usual cast of characters who are mentioned in this blog so frequently.

We are assembled here for an 'Evening With Michael Dawson', the former Nottingham Forest, Tottenham Hotspur and Hull City (I didn't forget Malc) defender. Dawson is from the North Yorkshire market town of Northallerton, an excellent spot for a tipple if you are passing. In our house it's called 'North fecking Allerton' following a goalless draw I saw back in 2016 which still makes my blood boil. As you know folks, Sticky doesn't do 0-0s. Dawson was scouted by Forest playing football with his hometown junior club on York Racecourse. 


I sit on a table with blog legends Jitz Jani, 'Dringy', music aficionado Craig Farina and the film producer and broadcaster Jonny Owen, who is a good friend of the club.  Dawson is engaging. He tells a few amusing anecdotes. At the end of the evening it's raffle time. One of the big prizes is a night in an executive box for the Nottingham Forest v Burnley, Premier League game, which includes a meal for two. Carlton diehard fan Nigel Harlow strides up to the front of the clubhouse, to pull out one of the numbers from out of the hat. I nearly fall off my chair when my name is shouted out.

I've suddenly become very popular now that I have the golden ticket. People are breaking their necks to say hello on facebook, twitter or in person at Carlton Tesco. Even the staff crack a smile. I would have taken Nige, to be honest, as after all he pulled my ticket out. I broached the subject with Ms Moon, who immediately puts the kibosh on it, making herself available for the said (big) game. The Betamax timer is set for 'The Farm' and Corrie.

It's Monday afternoon and I've just had a wee nap after a couple of early starts at the paper shop. I jump on the bus that goes up and over Carlton Hill, through the 'Gaza Strip' (the border between Carlton and Sneinton where it can get a bit tasty) and up past the Motorpoint Arena, where Lily the Carlton mascot will be eyeing up a gig when her favourite 'pop group' Busted top the bill.


I stroll down Lister Gate, which was once an exciting, vibrant shopping area in Nottingham city centre. To my left is the city's biggest blot on the landscape, the ruins of Broad Marsh Centre - Nottingham City Council's elephant in the room. An uglier building I have yet to see - take into consideration that I spent a day in Luton last year too.

I pass my second home, the railway station, and then cross over the tramlines before venturing into the Meadows. I appear from out of the sprawling housing estate outside Castle Rock's flagship pub The Embankment, which is already full to the brim inside and outside with excited, beer-swilling Tricky Tree fans.Nottingham Boat Club members are packing away their rowing boats and equipment as I glance at the former music venue where I saw bands such as The Associates, Orange Juice and Bow Wow Wow in the early 80s. 


I bump into NFFC and Carlton Town legend Gary 'Boatsy' Clarke. Gaz is a great lad, whose tiresome fundraising for the Millers and charities neither goes unnoticed or is taken for granted. He's with his lad Charlie, a goalkeeper, whose remarkable last minute winner for his team, Gedling Southbank Panthers, in March 2022, went viral. 

Ms Moon and I walk into the reception area, where all the executive boxes are housed. We are given a complimentary drink. I quench my thirst with a Coke Zero after the long walk through town. Ms Moon asks for a glass of prosecco. We are presented with a bottle that costs £36!! I ask if a St John's ambulance volunteer is available as I feel I'm going to faint. Thirty six chuffing pounds!!


The dinner is three courses, with the experience better than I'd expected. The seats, in the executive box, are in the shape of a dugout. My only previous experience of a 'prawn sandwich view' was with RJB Mining back in 1996 when Steve Stone did his anterior cruciate ligament in a game versus Leicester City.

One good thing about being in the box is that you can't hear the DJ set. If I'm to suffer 'Freed From Desire' one more time then I'll jump in the Trent. 'Casually Dan', the Carlton Town resident DJ, is available at £1,000 a pop. Trust me, that's great value, and he will get the supporters of both teams bouncing pre-match.

Burnley's left winger, Luca Koleosho, is running Argentinian World Cup winning full back, Gonzalo Montiel ragged. The 19 year old looks a steal at £2.6 million from Spanish team Espanyol. He hoodwinks Joe Worrall which leads to the opening goal of the game.


It's a decent match for the neutral. New signing Callum Hudson-Odoi scores a stunning equaiser following good work up top from 'Big T.' I'm sat near Carlton chairman, Mick Garton, who also happens to be my boss. He rants that NFFC never get any VAR decisions go their way. Moments later Burnley have a goal chalked off for a harsh handball decision. Mick holds up his hands as an apology. We all laugh as one.

Ms Moon is down London on business, so I have the run of the house, and more importantly the TV set. I'm working eight days on the bounce as cover for shop manager 'Chippy Fryer' who is on another Mediterranean cruise. I have to go steady on the drink as I watch a couple of Champions League games.


An out of sorts Manchester United are rolled over in Munich. The following night is far more entertaining as Brighton Hove Albion make their European debut versus AEK Athens. The Greeks run out the victors 3-2 in a breathtaking game of football. The Seagulls put up a brave fight. They were also missing two of their talismen: Lewis Dunk and Shane Ferguson.

Ms Moon and I saw NFFC lose 1-0 at Brighton back in 2015. The two things I remember most about that game was that we paid £46 each to sit in the home end (in the Championship) and that Jamie Ward made his debut after his agent somehow blagged a four year contract after triggering a Bosman from over the cattlegrid at 'The Sheep Dip.'


I meet Tony Mac for 'Friday Club' up at Canning Circus. We sink a few at the Organ Grinder, Sir John Borlase Warren, Barrel Drop (on Hurts Yard) and Nottingham's number one craft ale bar, Junkyard, adjacent to the Herbert Kilpin, an ex favourite of Sticky's until an unsavoury incident back at Christmas 2018. We finish up with a 12% collaboration from Black Iris and Bang the Elephant. A small kebab is hoovered up from the Carlton Fryer on the walk back to Chez Palms. I'm tucked up in bed for 10.30pm.

It's Saturday afternoon and the 25 bus up to Mapperley Tops is running ten minutes late. Hopes of a trip to Dodworth Miners Welfare FC were dashed earlier in the morning. The FA Vase is my favourite Non League trophy. Gedling Miners Welfare are pitting their wits against Selston FC, from the north of the county.


I make the ten minute walk from the bus stop to the ground. I arrive just as the two teams emerge from the changing rooms. It's £5 on the gate. I part with a couple of quid for some raffle tickets. I position myself on the opposite side to the dugouts. You can't fault the effort but the game isn't easy on the eye. Selston are a shadow of their former self, after another club did a raid on their players. I like the Gedling lads as many have stuck together during tough times, and not walked away like a lot of Non League big time Charlies do.

I meet a groundhopper who has travelled up from Horsham, in Sussex. That's a staggering 350 mile round trip. He says he should be home for Match of the Day. 

The Miners look home and hosed at 2-0 up with just a few minutes remaining. Selston score what looks to be a consolation goal. They quickly retrieve the ball from out of the net and place it on the spot for a Gedling kick off. The ball is played back to Kieran Harrison who is 60 yards out from goal, he spots the keeper wandering around his area before hitting a shot goal bound that hangs in the air for an age, it sails over the 'keeper and into the net. I can't 'arf pick 'em! 

Man of the Match: The Burnley winger

Attendance:  28,958

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very funny and enjoyable as usual. Always feel bit of a stay at home after reading each of his blogs, lol.