Sunday, October 29, 2023

Gedling Miners Welfare 1-2 Loughborough Students


I wake up on Sunday morning lathered in sweat and with a banging head. I've got a high temperature too. The day is written off as I sleep a virus off in bed. I'm gutted, as I'd looked forward to writing about the previous week's happenings. Only a bowl of piping hot chicken soup can cheer me up from my man flu.

Last week was a busy one folks. Tuesday evening was spent down Carlton Town's Stoke Lane ground. League leaders Belper Town were down our endz. I spent the first half standing with Dave 'Daisy' Reilly, who coached at junior level for Keyworth United in the mid noughties 'Daisy' is a casual groundhopper, as well as being a Bhoys (Celtic) supporter and closet Nottingham Forest fan - they're in the Premier League you know.


The Mighty Millers blow away Belper in a frantic, fast-paced first half. The visitors are lucky to be only 2-0 down at the break. I wander over to the far side of the ground to catch up with my good mate Faggsy, who is standing with Hull City fan, Malc Brown; a friend of the blog and father to Carlton Town legendary defender Dan Brown. We're all chuffed to bits with the first half display. 


The game is much tighter in the second half. Belper pull a goal back to set up a grandstand finish. But the Millers backline are magnificent and fully deserve their victory. They'll be dancing in the streets off Carlton Hill.

I rise early on Wednesday morning. I grab a coffee and a bacon sandwich at Greggs in Nottingham's Market Square. Crazy Steve picks me up just off Maid Marian way at 7.30 am. We head over south of the river Trent to the old mining town of Cotgrave, where I 'worked' at the coal mine for a couple of years in the late 80s, before Thatcher's pit closure programme.


We jump into Cotgrave Trev's car and head down the A46 towards Leicester, where we merge onto the M1 southbound. Within a couple of hours we're parked up at Canons Park train station, close to Barnet FC's ground, in North London.

After a couple of tube trains we alight at West Brompton station. The lads, including 'Little Al', enjoy paying their respects at Victoria Cross graves and memorials. The cemetery, in Brompton, has a dozen or so VC graves. It is also the final resting place of one of my favourite actors, Brian Glover, from the cult film, Kes. Glover, a former professional wrestler, also appeared in the popular 70s sitcom Porridge. 


Other graves in the cemetery that we visit include: British political activist Emmeline Pankhurst, who organised the UK suffragette movement, journalist and author Bernard Leven and John Wisden, cricketer and author, who launched the Wisden Cricketers' Almanack back in 1864.

It's a fantastic day out, as we tick off six CAMRA Heritage pubs in Covent Garden, Soho and Fitzrovia area of London. We polish off a meal at a Turkish restaurant, a stone's throw away from where the car is parked. On the way home we check our diaries and book in another trip for late January. I love my days out with these guys and Cotgrave Trev, a Posh fan (the football club and not Beckham's wife) is a legend for volunteering to drive.


I'm fagged out on Friday, but have already committed to a gig with Tony Mac at the Rescue Rooms in Nottingham. Ms Moon and I have some lunch at our new favourite haunt, Delilah, on Victoria Street. I note, for future reference, that the deli also sells bottles of Magpie Brewery beer and cans of Neon Raptor. I love it when a company has a partnership with another from our great city.

Storm Babet is coming through Nottingham today. I wander through the train station and gaze at the electronic timetable, as a number of trains are cancelled or delayed. Stranded passengers scratch their heads or express dismay. Tony Mac has the journey from hell as he finally tips up from Hucknall, a town submerged in flood water.

It's the usual bat around the backstreets, alleys and ginnels of Nottingham. We arrive at Rescue Rooms just shy of 8.30 pm. Shouty, issues-based left wing collective, Benefits, from up in the 'Northern Powerhouse' of Middlesbrough are centre-stage. Mac and I have watched them on seven occasions now. They're on top form despite some glitches in the early stages of the set.


After an early start and seven hour shift at the shop with MSR newsagent stalwart Dave 'Chippy' Fryer, I make my way down to Carlton Town's clash with Jamie Vardy's former club, Stocksbridge Steels, who are from South Yorkshire.

Casually Dan is playing his set as I poke my head in the clubhouse. The deadlock is yet to be broken at the break. The Millers are lacking the fluidity and energy that were in evidence on Tuesday evening. I stand behind the goal in the second half, with the cast of characters that I've introduced to this blog in the last 18 months. They always put a smile on my face and make me feel warm and happy.


Blog sensation, Edward, has rocked up today after mysteriously missing one of the great nights on Tuesday evening. He's looking fresh after a sharp haircut by 'Alison' at Hairline up on Mapperley Tops. We've both been in massive trouble on the fans' WhatsApp group for discussing soap operas, cricket and Strictly Come Dancing. I've recently returned to the group following a 14 day ban dished out by 'Chief Wiggum' and 'Herr Harlow' for discussing Angela Rippon's five star performance on Strictly. Edward came out in solidarity.

The news isn't all good. Malc's lad, Dan Brown, doesn't emerge from the dressing room for the second half due to a niggling knee injury, which may need an MRI scan to assess the damage. It ends a run of 71 consecutive games for Dan, who will be sorely missed until his return. 

We enjoy some banter, fun and laughter as on the pitch the young Millers are well schooled by an experienced Stocksbridge team, who run out 2-0 winners. It doesn't dampen my evening or affect my mood, as I sink a couple of pints with Faggsy in the wonderful Old Volunteer watering hole on Burton Road, a five minute walk away from Chez Palms. I am sad to hear that Manchester United great, Sir Bobby Charlton, passed away earlier today.


This week has been a quiet one as I recover from the lurgy. I work for three days on the bounce. Carlton Town's home game versus Stockton Town, scheduled for Tuesday evening, is called off at lunchtime, as the floods send the water table sky high. It's a blessing in disguise for Sticky Palms as I rest up and get ready for a big day out on Friday.

I'm sat on the 8.13 train to London St Pancras with Friday Club members Matt Limon and Tony Mac. The plan, later, is to meet up with 'Chopper Harris' and Steve Ackerman - my best friend from school. We have the misfortune to have breakfast at a place called the Betjeman Arms. Matt sends a flat beer back as we wait over 40 minutes for a full English. The place isn't exactly bustling with folk.


We have a blast as we dodge a few squally showers, whilst walking around Waterloo, Southwark and Borough Market. The star of the show is The George. You stand in a courtyard and get served in a hatch. It has two balconies that houses noisy weekend revellers.

We're a man down as Tony Mac does a Zorro at the Skinner Arms. I'm in my pit at midnight, but back up at 4 am to mark the papers up at the shop. I grab an hour on my return home before jumping into an Uber taxi that takes me up to Plains Rd for my fourth visit of the season.


Ms Moon comes to the rescue on the food front. She rocks up with a haslet cob and a caramel doughnut from Birds. I bump into 'Ticknall Terry' a big Students fan and also a keen watcher of 2nd XI and local cricket. I enjoy spending time with Terry when we watch Notts 2nds at Lady Bay Sports Ground.


The Students are 2-0 up and strolling to victory. The second goal came during a 10 minute sin bin for Miners' skipper Josh Thornton. They pull a goal back with a brilliant finish from Kieran Harrison. The stage is set for a grand finale finish. Striker Courtnay Hastings ruins the day by getting sent off after receiving a Red card for abusing the referee.

I manage to grab a chat with Chris Widdowson who I met on twitter. We grew up together just a mile apart and yet only met one another a few weeks ago. He's a keen craft ale enthusiast and a Non League fan too. It's been another great game and a lovely afternoon out. I can't 'arf pick 'em.

Man of the Match: Tony Mac

No comments: