Sunday, April 7, 2024

Nottingham Forest 3-1 Fulham


It's Good Friday and I'm packing away the Easter Egg stall outside the MSR shop front in Arnold, after a successful day's trading. I jump on the 58 bus which I alight on Upper Parliament Street in the heart of Nottingham City Centre. I peg it up Derby Road towards the Canning Circus area of town. It's named after a former 19th Century politician called George Canning, who was a reformist and anti-slave trade. He would later become Prime Minister for the final 119 days of his life.

Tony Mac is propping the bar up at the Organ Grinder, whilst necking a brew from the Blue Monkey stable. We have a couple more scoops before calling by: Good Fellow George, Sir John Borlase Warren and finally the Barrel Drop on Hurt's Yard. At just past 7 pm we squeeze through a tight passageway called Newcastle Chambers. The Chameleon Arts Cafe is an iconic and intimate music venue which is sadly set to close down tomorrow evening.


There's a wee indie underground music scene bubbling and emerging in Nottingham. Expectations have been set high for local Goth/Post-Punk band Bloodworm who we've seen a few times. Think of the haunting voice of Bauhaus's Pete Murphy together with the guitar on The Cure's third album Faith and you won't be far away. They up their game this evening, compared to previous viewings. Marvin's Revenge, a three-piece band from Arnold, finish up the night for Mac and I, with a blistering half hour set.

I knock off work at 2pm on Saturday and catch a 25 bus up to Mapperley Tops. Ms Moon meets me as she travels from the opposite direction. The good lady is 'Hank Marvin', so she dives into Birds Bakery. I decline her kind offer of food as I'm still stuffed from a bacon and sausage baguette from Arnold award-winning butcher, A E Chambers.


Gedling Miners' Welfare, Plains Road ground is a short ten minute walk away. We watch a cracking game of football in the company of Faggsy and Jon Gilbert, who is a mate of mine and an old school friend of Ms Moon's. Jon's lad, Johnny, is playing defensive midfield for the Miners today. He appears to be a great prospect as he looks to work his way up the Non League football pyramid. We have a couple of drinks in the poshest 'Spoons in Notts before I retire early to bed, after getting mardy following a thrashing by Ms Moon on Lee Mack's 1% Club.

I often have to gee myself up for marking the Sunday papers at the ridiculous god-forsaken time of 5 a.m. It's hardly helped by the clocks moving forward an hour. I bang on a classic album by The Stranglers which includes some great tracks such as: All Quiet on the Eastern Front and Nice 'n Sleazy. There's a brilliant cover version of Dionne Warwick's 'Walk on By' which was written for her by Burt Bacharach in 1963. Jean-Jacques Burnell's bass guitar makes my heart beat ten to the dozen.


I grab an hour's kip back at Chez Palms before heading back into the city centre. I've booked us in for Sunday lunch at the highly-rated Fothergills bistro-style restaurant opposite Nottingham Castle. It's a first outing here for both of us. We're seated upstairs; there's already a hustle and bustle about the place. We both mop up slow-roasted lamb shank. I wash mine down with a house white wine from Portugal. We walk off the meal around the Park Estate with its swanky housing and private tennis courts. We both agree that we'll buy a house here when we win the lottery ..lol.

I'm down at El Stadio Stokeld on Easter Monday afternoon. Confidence is high in the Millers camp after they stunned a four figure crowd at league leaders Stockton Town, two days previously, with a shock 2-0 win. Margaret Thatcher's Grantham Town are today's visitors. They are scrapping for their lives in the nether regions of the Northern Premier East League.


The Millers take the lead and also have another effort chalked off by the officials. Nat Watson appears to have put the game to bed. But a late rally by the Gingerbreads sees Carlton hanging on for dear life. With plenty of games in hand, along with a relatively injury-free squad, with no suspensions, it's in the Millers hands to claim a play-off spot, which is a miracle after last season's soap opera.

I'm down the banks of the Trent on Tuesday evening for the first time since NFFC fortuitously drew with Burnley 1-1 back in September. I sit with a mate from Carlton called Johnny and his Forest mad family. Fulham look like they've packed their bucket and spades, ready for the summer holidays. On 33 minutes, and already 2-0 down, a seething Marco Silva makes a triple substitution. Former D***y County loanee Harry Wilson is one of those players who is hooked. The partizan Forest faithful all give him the bird.


Gibbs-White and the impressive Brazilian, Danilo, have ran the Cottagers ragged. It's 3-0 at the break and there appears to be little hope for the Londoners. A chink of light appears when they claw back an early goal in the second half. 35 year old Brazilian, Willian, is running the show with a series of dangerous corners and whipped in crosses. The woodwork is NFFC's saviour, although it has to be said that Forest are also wasteful in front of goal. I toss and turn a little at night in bed as my brain can't shake off what a brilliant game of ball I've just seen. Thanks for the ticket Johnny.

I've worked my socks off all week at the shop as I've been covering for one of the lads who has gone on holiday. I meet Ms Moon for a few drinks in our favourite couples pub, Lillie Langtrys. A member of the bar staff has a tight grip on the Spotify track-listing. Billy Nomates, The Charlatans and Psycho Killer by Talking Heads are the pick of the bunch.


I'm bright and breezy on Saturday morning. I hoover up a big bowl of porridge before meeting Faggsy on the corner of Lancaster Road on Carlton Hill. I'm super excited for the day ahead. It doesn't get any better than cricket and football on the same day.

After a cup of coffee, courtesy of Faggsy, in the Barrel and Bean, we take our seats in the Lower Radcliffe Road. I sit for an hour with Drurs, Horsy and Bagpuss who has travelled over from Oxfordshire to see his mum and also take in Ilkeston v Atherton Collieries. I raise my eyebrows and curl my lip as that once mighty fine playing surface is sadly now 3G, at the New Manor Ground. Other discussions include racing tips and haselet.


I leave the ground with Joe Clarke looking in good nick. I show a turn of pace as I walk through the Meadows, past the railway station and along Canal Street. I push open the front door of Castle Rock's Newshouse. Crazy Steve is holding court with a number of Pies' fans including blog legend Mr John Harris. Wife Jackie is a non-attendee as she is down the Smoke watching Sheridan Smith in a West End show.

I lose track of time as we're that busy gassing. I end up ordering an UBER to get me down to El Stadio Stokio in time for kick off. The place is mobbed out with Bitcoiners as they have put a festival on. They are a valuable and loyal sponsor of the Club. A craft ale from Liquid Light, called Day Tripper is available on tap. It's an absolute belter and well worth the £4,50 outlay per pint.


A swirling 40 mph gale is spoiling the game. The Millers struggle to get out of their own half. I'm unaware that Dean Freeman, who is pivotal to this team, has come off injured. I was grabbing a second pint of the lush Liquid Light when the substitution was made. Jon Gilbert is here again. Tagging along with him is Keyworth legend Chris Frame, who can drink like a fish. We watch the game together and enjoy some craic. Framey is on fetching and carrying duty from a busy clubhouse. Jon is already double-parked before half time as 'Framey' turns up the heat in the drinking stakes.



DJ Murph's half time set is aligned with the Bitcoin Festival Day. 'Cash Machine' by Hard Fi and 'Working for the Yankee Dollar' by The Skids both get an airing.

Carlton's confidence is sky high in the second half with the stiff breeze at their backs, They take the lead through Niall Davie after a pinpoint corner puts the 'keeper under pressure. Once again the Millers are in debt to 'keeper 'Felix the Cat' for some crucial saves. Alex Hardwick hammers home the final nail in the coffin from the penalty spot after a dubious penalty award.

Man of the Match: Danilo

No comments: