Sunday, March 17, 2024

Lincoln City 5-0 Bristol Rovers


I arrive home on Saturday evening after Carlton's narrow defeat to Stockton Town. My mood darkens when I see that Ms Moon is watching irritating 'comedian' Michael McIntyre on the TV set. I crack open a strong can of craft ale and boot up my laptop. I scroll through all the scores. 'The Lincoln' have battered Barnsley 5-1 away at Oakwell. The time has come to make a call to get the band back together.

On Sunday afternoon I fish my phone out of my pocket and swipe down my list of contacts to the letter T. I press the green 'call' button. I feel my heart flutter, and my face light up, when the person on the other end of the line says "Hi Chap." This 20 year old diary has unearthed some blog legends over that period of time: Tosh, Big Glenn, Big Man, Tony Mac, The Taxman, Crazy Steve and Ms Moon are amongst many - but I'm sorry folks, nobody comes near to Trumpy Bolton. 


I'm not sure whether it's interference or incoherence on the line, but I piece together that he's on his way home from Kingston upon Hull after viewing a disappointing 2-2 draw for the faltering Foxes at the KC Stadium. Him and wife Jayne are stopping off in Newark-on-Trent for a 'couple of glasses' and a bite to eat. 16th March has been pencilled in for some time. The resurgence of Lincoln hasn't gone unnoticed. The following day I ring up the LNER Stadium at Sincil Bank. Two tickets are secured as is the 10.38 train to Lincoln. As Peaches and Herb said in 1979 'Reunited,' 

It's Tuesday evening and I'm slogging it up Talbot Street in Nottingham city centre, to the iconic music venue Rock City. Tony Mac and I, earlier in the evening, had sunk a couple of jars in the Barrel Drop and Yarn. Tonight I'm seeing a band I've watched many times over the last 40 years.


I was into Echo and the Bunnymen from the off in 1980. I remember the cool kids in South Wolds sixth form, in Keyworth, used to wear long green raincoats and combat trousers. As a teenager I wanted to be the Liverpudlian lead singer Ian McCulloch, who was as cool as Clough.

I recently read part one of the Bunnymen memoirs, written by guitarist Will Sergeant. It's a riveting, captivating capture of growing up in poverty stricken Liverpool in the late 60s and early 70s. Tonight, Rock City is packed to the rafters. It's fair to say that McCulloch is struggling to reach any notes of significance. The music is spellbinding. Show of Strength, Over the Wall and Killing Moon are my favourite three from tonight's two part set.


Wednesday is Ms Moon's day off and the beginning of a four day break from the shop for Sticky. We lunch at Delilah Fine Foods, on Victoria Street. Nothing tickles our fancy at the flicks. I've got a good 'un lined up for us both next week, called Cabrini.

I took a stroll down to Nottingham Central Library later in the afternoon. Former BBC Midlands Today, Radio 4 and Radio Nottingham broadcaster John Holmes is giving a talk about his 50 year career in the media. He tells some charming, amusing anecdotes about Spike Milligan and Joan Collins, but of course the best one is based around Brian Clough.


Cloughie and Taylor had arranged, at short notice, a testimonial game at The City Ground, and needed some publicity. Clough phoned up Holmes at home to pull him in for a favour. John asked old Big 'Ead into the studio for a phone-in with the supporters, so he could publicise the match.. Everything was going swimmingly well until Beryl from Beeston called in. "I've been a supporter of the club for over 35 years Mr Clough and was hoping with the development of the new stand that you might consider installing more than one 'Ladies' toilet as the queues are long at half-time and we are missing some of the game. Clough replied: "We won't be building any additional toilets, Beryl, and I suggest that you make time to go to the loo before arriving at the game" .. lol


It's Thursday and I'm on the train to Doncaster after bagging a bargain £15 choo choo return. God, I love my senior railcard. I'm meeting my brother for a few scoops and a mooch about. Donny has a population of 90,000 and is well known for its railway history and horse racing. 69% of its population voted to 'Leave' the EU. Famous people from the city include: Last of the Summer Wine writer, Roy Clarke, Jeremy Clarkson, Louis Tomlinson from One Direction and the footballer Danny Rose.

As I wait for my brother I stand in awe looking at one of the best murals I've ever clapped eyes on. It's a commissioned piece of urban artwork. It captures Doncaster's historic past and took the Nomad Clan two weeks to complete.


Around the corner is another beautiful piece of architecture, it's known locally as 'Little Plough' and was remodelled in the 1930s by Doncaster's largest pub owners at the time, Hewitt Brothers, from Grimsby. A few blokes start piling in for an afternoon of betting and boozing as the Cheltenham Festival is on TV. 

We visit a few other CAMRA pubs including Queen Craft where the barmaid excitedly told us that they hold comedy nights. My reply of "I presume all the comedians come from over the border, in Lancashire" is met with a stony face. 

 Alehouse

I say goodbye to Our Kid on the platform at the railway station. I enjoy a pint at the Draughtsman as I wait to begin my journey home. I even manage time for a swift one at the newly opened Brew Tavern, in Nottingham, which in old money was BeerHeadZ. It's located at the old Transport Police hut on the corner of Queen's Road.

Ms Moon and I have Friday tea time drinky poos at crowd favourite Lillie Langtry's and the more modern Copper City, which was Cafe Royale back in the day. We enjoy a lovely dining experience at French Living, a 30 year old family-owned restaurant at the top of King St. I plump for snails soaked in garlic. We wrap up the evening at the Fox and Grapes in Sneinton where I enjoy a pint of Dr Rudi Smash from the Lenton Lane stable.


It's Saturday morning and reports are coming in (by text) that Trumpy Bolton has been necking a glass or two, very early doors, in Spoons' Joseph Else since 9 a.m. Else sculpted the iconic Left Lion and Right Lion that form part of the Council House. An hour later I chance upon Bolton at a dive bar called Industry. I have half a Guinness as the train is due to leave soon.

For first time readers here is the drop your bacon sandwich news: for the last 45 years Trumpy Bolton's mission is to make a financial transaction in every village, town and city in England, Scotland and Wales. He has more box files than GCHQ. A crumpled atlas has each place visited highlighted. Every new pub is recorded in a book that holds more value than the Crown Jewels.


Sticky Tours take Trumpy down High Street, where there are a few alehouses he's never been to before including: Golden Eagle, Imp and Angel and Tiny Tavern. He engages with some Bristol Rovers fans in the pub and asks if Jason Roberts is in the squad. For any younger readers,Roberts is 46 years old. The whole pub erupts when Coventry City's USA forward, Haji Wright, scores a last gasp winner in an FA Cup tie at Molineux. 

We're sitting in our seats ten minutes before kick off. Bolton's beer count is at the bottom of this blog. The Red Imps are in a hot streak of form which has resulted in a late charge for a play-off position. It's been masterminded by their new head coach Michael Skubala, a Nottingham lad, who has pitched up from Leeds United academy, after serving time there under the popular Argentine, Marcelo Bielsa.


The Pirates of Bristol are blown away by a fired-up, foot forward Imps. They're 3-0 down inside 23 minutes and have two of their players hooked before the half hour mark. Remarkably honours could be even had it not been for some outstanding 'keeping from the Imps' 24 year old Danish stopper, Lukas Jensen.

Trumpy is miffed at the lack of alcohol available at the bar. He enjoys a light lunch instead (a bag of salt and vinegar crisps and a Twix chocolate bar). Things go from bad to worse for Rovers who miss from the penalty spot. Lincoln play the last 20 minutes with ten men after a couple of quick yellow cards for the impressive Ethan Erhahon.

Attendance: 9,392

Man of the Match: A return to form for Trumpy Bolton

Beer Count: a tin of Charnwood at home for breakfast, 2x pints in Joseph Else, a glass in Industry

5x pints on High Street, Lincoln. Tame by his standards, but no clubhouse to get

spangled in during the game. I'll get him down Carlton Town one day.

1 comment:

Babs said...

Great read my friend 😁