Sunday, April 2, 2023

Nottingham Forest 1-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers


A short explanation of my interest in the Munich Air Disaster.

It's 6th February, 1958. A rookie 24 year old Daily Express staff reporter is just beginning his afternoon shift on the Manchester news desk. He'd previously done his national service before learning the ropes at the Lincolnshire Echo and Liverpool Echo.

All hell breaks loose an hour into the young man's shift. A chartered aircraft has crashed into a house on its third-attempted take off, in wintry conditions at Munich Airport. The British European Airways Flight 609 has 44 people on board, they include the Manchester United team, staff and journalists, who are returning home from a European Cup tie in Yugoslavia. The death toll will be 23.


It's the biggest story my Dad will ever write during a career that spanned 40 years. He took early retirement after 20 years as East Midlands correspondent on the Daily Mirror. My father rarely talked about that day or the weeks that followed. He was the first reporter to speak to Matt Busby after his recovery. He flew out to West Germany with all the grieving parents and relatives of the players. Some of their sons and husbands didn't survive, whilst others were badly injured and scarred for life. 

A mate, Robert Rathbone, also a close friend of my Dad, alerted me this week to two newspaper clippings on eBay. My father was name-checked in both. One was an interview with Matt Busby's assistant, Jimmy Murphy. I did put a few bids in for the clippings, but was pipped at the post by a crazy maximum bid. I wouldn't be much kop on Bargain Hunt.


It's 5pm on Saturday, March 25th, 2023. Carlton Town have gone down 2-0 to Teessiders, Stockton Town. We've only won two games at home all season. You would expect an air of despondency and gloom in the clubhouse post match. Far from it, folks. DJ Dan lifts the room by playing one of the greatest sets in Non League history. The room is up dancing to 'Concrete Jungle' by The Specials and 'Night Boat to Cairo' by Madness. The only thing missing is a Fall track, eh, Alan Murphy?

There's a fundraising afternoon, the following day, for the Club at The Dragon on Long Row, in Nottingham city centre. Carlton owner, Mick Garton, plays an 80s set which includes a couple of New Order tracks. DJ Dan is worse for wear (hanging) after his sister's 30th birthday party. He's sticking to soft drinks this afternoon. DJ Murph does his best to put a dampener on the day with a couple of songs from The Smiths. Most people dart for the door, even non-smokers, as Morrissey's morose lyrics are belted out. If you suffer from depression or anxiety don't put his autobiography on your Christmas list.


I have waited for Monday morning to arrive for six months. I demolish a bowl of porridge before walking up Carlton Hill. Faggsy is waiting for me on the corner of Lancaster Road. The sun begins to break through as we make our way towards Trent Bridge for the first cricket fixture of the season.

We park ourselves in the pavilion as much of the ground is closed-off. Loughborough MCCU are the visitors. I love my time down 'The Bridge' and made a lot of friends last season; particularly the lads who all support Notts County.


'Crazy Steve' tips up. We discuss having another Heritage Pub, Victoria Cross and celebrity grave-hunting day in either Cheshire or Staffordshire. 'Cotgrave Trev' is up for it too. There's disappointing news to report at lunchtime from Mrs Bunns Cob Emporium on Musters Road. 'Crazy' and Sticky don't take too kindly to the news that there is a shortage of haselet (pork in herbs) in the county.

Notts rack up the runs. Liam Patterson-White looks the business. He's shed a few pounds after a winter tour. He wastes no time in reaching a half century by striking the ball to all parts of the ground. There's time for a couple of pints with Faggsy in the Fox and Grapes in Sneinton. I'll be back here on Wednesday for Al Needham's brilliant 'Foxy Quiz.' 


Tuesday teatime is spent up at Bread and Bitter on Mapperley Tops. It's 'Burger Night.' I have a Cajun chicken one with all the trimmings and a pint of real ale from North Riding Brewery. Tonight's entertainment is Gedling Miners' Welfare relegation basement battle with St Andrews from Leicester. 

I stand with Faggsy as the teams play out a five goal thriller. Despite having to play the second half with ten men, the visitors hang on to win 3-2. I'm greeted with a two fingered salute by 'The Radford Barry Fry' (Big Glenn). He seems to have resurfaced following a return to form for the Pheasants. 


Two days of continual rain have tipped me over the edge. It's best to be proactive during these moments. I look for train times up to the South Yorkshire town of Doncaster. I bag a split ticket return for £19. I alight the train at Sheffield - it's a tad too early for a beer at the splendid Sheffield Tap. I jump on a Northern train: destination is Adwick le Street.

Redhouse Cemetery is on the outskirts of the town, just over one mile away from the train station. It's a fairly small memorial garden. I notice a Manchester United scarf that is placed beneath a graveside. David Pegg died in the Munich Air Disaster, he was just 22 years old. He made 127 appearances for Manchester United and scored 24 goals. He had one cap for England. I remove my cap and read the words on the gravestone. His parents and grandmother are also laid to rest with him. I always feel sad on my walk back to the station.


My Bosnian back street barber, Mr Eko, cheers me up. He offers me a coffee or 'something stronger' as I queue for a trim. He usually asks customers what music they want on. Mr Eko is currently playing a Lithuanian Deep House mix. I would normally say "get this shit off", but the bloke in the barber's chair looks a bit handy. I give it the swerve.

I'm back at Nottingham railway station on Friday morning. Mac, Chopper Harris and myself are on the sauce in Grantham and Retford. Those buffoons at EMT are up to their tricks again. We have to catch a different train as the driver and train manager are locked out of their cab.


First port of call is the Whistle Stop that sits on Grantham station. We head into town and tick off the impressive Nobody Inn and The Beehive. Mac points out the Margaret Thatcher statue, en route back to the station. I stare straight ahead and blank it. If I had a Carlton Town Rock sticker I'd have placed it on her hooter.

Retford is an absolute gem for CAMRA pubs. The Brew Shed, Beer Under the Clock, Idle Valley Tap and Black Boy are magnifique. It's the birthplace of my cricketing hero, Derek Randall. He is the reason why I love the game so much. There's no blue plaque but I do manage to get a snap of Mac standing outside his beloved Boots, a company he has worked at for over 45 years. I arrive home in Nottingham worse for wear. I somehow manage to fire up the grill to make some cheese on toast. Carlton Fire Station are off their Playstations and put on standby.


News comes through that Pontefract Collieries v Carlton Town has been hosed off at 9.30 am on Saturday morning. It's disappointing news as I had hoped to sit on the coach with Carlton supporter Edward, so we could discuss the incompetency and buffoonery antics of Greater Manchester Police, in their failed attempts to catch Corrie killer, Stephen. I could go and watch 'Our Joe' but the game is being played on 4G. I manage to secure a ticket for Forest v Wolves at the 'World Famous City Ground.'

Ms Moon is on a road trip to Skeggy with her daughter and son, to stay with friends for the night. I don't bother with a beer before the game and I'm already hanging around the banks of the Trent, close to the Brian Clough Stand, an hour before kick off.


I'm not that fussed about getting into the ground too early, as the DJ set is pants. The Caesars 'Jerk it Out' is about as good as it gets. DJ Dan is available NFFC people, but you will need to come through his booking agent, Sticky Palms. And you would need to get some Castle Rock ales on too.

There's still some bad blood between the two clubs after a feisty, ill tempered League Cup tie a few months back. Referee Chris Kavanagh could be in for a busy afternoon. Wolves see an effort cannon off the crossbar as a stream of crosses cause confusion in the Forest defence. Against the run of play Brennan Johnson scores a brilliant goal. 


The game boils over in the second half. Staff from both dugouts are red-carded and there are a flurry of yellow cards on the pitch. Cooper goes early with five at the back. Wolves fortuitously equalise, six minutes from time. They have dominated possession but have posed little threat. Forest are braver on the ball and always look to move forward.

There's a lot of fuss about Morgan Gibbs-White, which isn't always backed up with stats or a trained eye. But today he has looked the part against his former club. His passing and running have been a joy to behold. He just needs to add some goals to his game now.

I chat to a NFFC fan in the King Billy in Sneinton after the game. We both agree it's two points dropped.

Man of the Match: Morgan Gibbs-White

Attendance: 29,368 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting article.