Sunday, October 2, 2022

Clifton All Whites 1-4 Radford FC


It's Friday April 29th, a day I've dreamt about for four months. I'm holed up with 30x work colleagues in The Walrus, a bar on King Street, in the heart of Nottingham city centre. It was under a different guise in the mid 80s. Back then it was called Punters Bar and sold tin after tin of Red Stripe Jamaican lager. Alternative music used to blast out of the speakers. Post-Punk band New Model Army's 'Vengeance' was a crowd favourite and floor filler.

There's no post punk on the Walrus Spotify list, although there are 80s classics such as 'Temptation' by Sheffield synth-pop band, Heaven 17. The reason we are all gathered here this evening is because there are two leaving dos, and one of them is mine.


It's been a staged exit, with full support from my best ever employer, Ideagen PLC. I need a long break after suffering with serious eye issues, with the added burden of having to work from home during the pandemic. It's been difficult to focus on work during my six week notice period. I'm so excited for what the future holds.

We move onto a 'nightclub' called Popworld. I'm comfortably the oldest person in here by 25 years (a bit like work). It's not for everyone and certainly not for me. New Model Army aren't on the running order. George Ezra and Ed Sheeran are, in abundance. 'Beam me up Scotty,' I've eight months off work to look forward to.


Fast forward to Monday September 25th. The summer has gone in the blink of an eye. I've watched cricket all over the country and in Amsterdam too. I'm about to slump into my seat in the Radcliffe Road lower stand for the final four days of the season, as Nottinghamshire attempt to beat Durham to secure the LV County Championship Division Two title.

I've met some great people at Trent Bridge, who have welcomed me into their group. 'Crazy Steve', 'Faggsy', 'Kimberley Al' and 'Red Dog Roly' are all good friends of mine now - their cricket knowledge is second to none too. Mrs Bunns on Musters Road is a regular stop off if I've forgotten (or can't be arsed) to pack some snap. Regular customer,'Crazy Steve' gets a selfie with the lasses behind the counter prior to his final oxtail soup and haslet cob. That's proper keeping it real snap, folks. 


It's a captivating week of cricket. Records tumble as four of Notts batters all hit centuries. It's gone midday on Thursday when the final wicket falls, the title is ours. We join in with the celebrations on the steps of the pavilion. There's a nice touch from Stuart Broad, who dashes up to the dressing room before bringing down some of his kit that he shares with the members. 

We hold our own 'End of Season Party' - The Embankment, VAT and Fiddle, Canalhouse, Bell Inn and Partizan Tavern are all supported by the gang, as the curtains draw on another season end. I feel so sad that I won't be watching any cricket again until next April.


My mind turns to football and in particular Big Glenn Russell, 'Director of Football' at Radford FC. Regular readers will know of a few 'run-ins' I've had with the Big Lad. In summary, they usually get beat when Sticky Palms tips up at one of their fixtures. I got banned last season. They then went on to win 10x games on the bounce in my absence. 

As expected, there was no warm welcome at Selhurst Street last Saturday. I was told to 'GET OUT' when the 'Big 'Un' clocked me coming through the turnstile. It all ended well with an exciting penalty shootout win for Radford over table-toppers Aylestone Park. I text him the exciting news that I'll be rocking up to watch them at Clifton on Saturday. His reply was 'NO   .... don't bother.'   ... lol.


It's Friday afternoon. I'm fishing out my (borrowed) golfing umbrella from the shoe cupboard. It's not had an outing since April. It'll come in handy now as it's hosing it down and Nottingham city centre roads are gridlocked due to a fight, a tram derailment and a gas leak. The bus is stuck outside the Motorpoint Arena. I alight at the bottom of Hockley and peg it up to Market Square. It's sheeting it down with rain and I've already managed to scoop up a large puddle that has landed in my trainer.

I'd usually walk up to Canning Circus, but jump on the number 24 bus which drops me off bang outside the Sir John Borlase Warren. Blog legend, Tony Mac, is already supping a Lincoln Green ale. We have a cracking night walking around the city, as the rain subsides. Pub of the night is Bustler Market which is having its opening night in Sneinton's old fruit market. I finish the night off with a doner meat cob at the Carlton Fryer. My final drink, an 11% chocolate stout at the Partizan Tavern, has done for me. I'm in a right two 'n eight on arrival back to HQ. Ms Moon has to undo my shoe laces for me.


I'm as fresh as a daisy on Saturday morning. Those vegan craft ales, despite their strength, never give you a hangover. I rustle up a couple of sausage sandwiches. Nottingham City Transport let me down badly. There's no bus into town for 20 minutes. Seven buses, much to my annoyance, swing by in the opposite  direction. It's a race against time to get to All Whites ground on time. The tram from town is packed with folk who have spent the morning at Goose Fair. I alight the tram at Clifton town precinct.

Clifton is south of Nottingham and has a population of over 20,000. Famous people from here include the singer Jake Bugg, actress Samantha Morton, ice skater Jayne Torvill and the brilliant footballer Darren Huckerby, who was released by Notts County for being too small. It's £5 admission into the ground which is paid at the bar. 


I love this club. My son, Joe, had the honour of playing for them for six very successful seasons. A few of the lads pushed on. Timmy Berridge is banging the goals in at Step 3 Coalville Town and Robbie McNicholas is a regular starter for Loughborough Dynamo. Both of them are fine young men, who were a pleasure to coach at Under 19 level.

Former Keyworth United stopper Alex 'Barthez' Ball is hanging around behind the goal. We've been good pals and work colleagues for over 30 years. I clock Big Glenn wandering over to the dugout. I turn my back so he can't see me.

Clifton All Whites legend and friend to stars, James 'Tosh' Turner is over at Arnold helping out the young reserve team. I miss his banter and footballing nous. 'Dringy' and his lad Jordan make an appearance. An old mate, Dave 'Daisy' Reilly is also here. I bump into another blog legend, 'Swifty.' He was Notts groundsman of the year in 2007. No wonder the playing surface looks in pristine condition.


Radford are up and at 'em from the off. Clifton could do with a couple of old heads as the young lads struggle with the physical side of the game. Striker, Anton Robinson, is already impressing the judges Chances have already gone begging before a busy Kyle Stovell opens the scoring on 5 minutes. Stovell adds to his tally on the half hour as the visitors threaten to run riot.

I check the scores at half-time. Non League sensation Macaulay Langstaff, a bargain buy from Gateshead, has already bagged a brace for the Pies, to put them, as Colin Slater used to say 'two to the good'. Langstaff has chalked up 14 goals for the season. I'll be checking him out versus Wrexham on Tuesday evening.


Radford look to have wrapped things up with a third goal. The impressive Josh Gardner pulls one back with a pearler. Joint manager Marko Markelic, not a man you want to upset, is giving one of his players a piece of his mind. The Pheasants put the game to bed on the hour.

'Tosh' has rolled up after the reserve game against AFC Top Valley, a team I rate highly. He left a drink for me behind the bar, but I don't like taking advantage. It's great to see the wee man. Rain or shine there's always a smile on his face.


There's a crazy rain shower that has us all diving for cover, before the skies brighten once again and the referee calls an end to proceedings after dishing out more cards than Clintons. Big Glenn is grinning like a Cheshire cat as he makes his way over to 'Forza Radderati' to show his appreciation for their magnificent support.

At this rate he'll be begging for his lucky charm, Sticky Palms, to pitch up at every game. I can't 'arf pick 'em.

Man of the Match: 'Crazy Steve'

Attendance: 50 head count.

2 comments:

Drew said...

Nice read Sticky

Anonymous said...

Excellent read. You've been missed.