Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Ilkeston Town v Guiseley Match Off Frozen Pitch


Last Saturday's game at the Football League's oldest establishment hasn't half whet my appetite for the beautiful game. Regular readers of these ramblings will know of my fondness for "Ilson"and their manager, Nigel Jemson's idiosyncrasy. Jemson is often the victim of unfair criticism on the Ilkeston message board, The White Ball Project. He has shuffled his pack since Christmas, particularly in defence, Lee Featherstone has arrived from rivals Alfreton and 19 year old goalkeeper James Annerson, on loan from Sheffield Utd. They play a game for the purist, 4-2-4 and have, in Leon McSweeney, one of the best players I have seen at this level.

I am looking forward to this one, reports on Guiseley suggest they are a strong and organised unit. A stroll round Ruddington Country Park at lunch concerns me, the temperature hovers above freezing.

I arrive home from work and whizz Sticky Junior up to his Basketball game. My lawn is crisp underfoot. A call to the New Manor Ground confirms my worst fears "the pitch is glistening sir" game off. Faced with the prospect of Eastenders and Holby City I meet a friend at my local for a couple of beers, but he too is not on great form - he supports Nottingham Forest.

Mustn't finish this entry without mention of the previous incumbent at Ilkeston Town. Phil Stant has had more clubs than Tiger Woods and at most has been good value. Who can forget when at Sincil Bank the Marshall Mathers look and a mouth to match the Michigan Rapper. He had a heart as big as a bucket and goals a plenty. Sergeant Stant they used to call him down the lane. I recommend you read his book, Ooh Ah Stantona, if only for the two chapters on his active service in the Falklands War, moving indeed.

More good news last night, MFI phoned, the delivery of the new bed has been put back until Sunday much to Mrs P's disgust, naturally I'm upset too, particularly when she informed me she has a Pilates and Aqua Aerobic class booked on Saturday afternoon and I'm in charge of the kids. I knew I shouldn't have bloody well bought her a Health Club membership for Christmas. Oh well there's always Keyworth Vets v Pelican Vets on Sunday afternoon ........ on second thoughts I'd rather put the bed up!!

No comments: