Sunday, September 22, 2024

Saltdean United 3-1 Shoreham FC


I promised myself since 'semi-retirement' that I'd visit at least two new cricket grounds each season, tying it in with a football match and some decent beer in the surrounding towns and cities. A terrible run of form for Nottinghamshire County Cricket Club has seen them plummet down the County Championship table. I like to watch a team when their backs are against the wall, to see if they have a spine or play with any courage or heart.

A two day pass out was signed off by Ms Moon a few weeks ago. I caught a Cross Country train to Newcastle. The first night I was booked into a 'Purple Palace' close to the famous Quayside area of the city centre. Once checked in I walked up the Tyne towards Byker. Thankfully, Ant n' Dec weren't knocking about - I felt a lot safer as a pedestrian that the former wasn't driving in the vicinity too. 


I chalked off a few pubs I'd got my beady eye on. The first was a late 19th Century watering hole called the Cumberland Arms. The second was called The Central, across the water in Gateshead, where I sat in the old Buffet Bar, gasping in awe at the ridiculously long list of cask ales that were available on a Wednesday teatime.

I made the ludicrous decision to take the 60 minute walk to Dunston UTS FC's stadium. It's an area of Gateshead where former Newcastle United, Spurs and Lazio footballer Paul Gascoigne grew up. AC/DC lead singer Brian Johnson is also from the town.


I took in an FA Cup replay between Dunston and Whickham Town, who are a village team just a couple of miles down the road. Nearly 700 fans turned up on a breezy evening. The game ended up being something of a damp squib. The visitors deserved praise for staying in the game for so long against much higher league opponents.

I got the train to Chester-le-Street the following day, where I plonked my backside in the stand at Durham CCC for the first two days of play. I sat with a NFFC fan and European groundhopper called 'Red Dog Roly', who is currently ticking off football grounds in Belgium and Holland. My brother arrived after lunch as the Notts threadbare bowling attack was dispatched to all parts of the ground. 


A pleasant Thursday evening was spent in Durham city centre. Any beer drinkers on here ought to make the effort to visit Victoria Inn who the CAMRA Heritage website describes as having the 'best historic multi-room pub interior in the North East.'

Fast forward the clock a few weeks and Notts CCC are further in the mire after a disastrous, fruitless, almost pointless few days in Chelmsford. I clocked a while back, on a long range weather forecast, that settled conditions were expected in south eastern England. Kent is not a part of the country I'm particularly au fait with. I saw Notts County get tonked at Gillingham in the mid 80s - two of the lads in our car got arrested for scrapping in the home end, when the Pies went 2-0 down ten minutes into the game. I've been on a booze cruise from Dover and visited the site of Maidstone United's old ground on a charity tour of 106 grounds in 2004. That's Kent and I in a nutshell. It's time to explore.


I book a single ticket to Canterbury for a bargain £50 - God I love my senior railcard and the Trainline split ticketing system. It's a 25 minute stroll through the charming, money-paved streets of the town centre up the Old Dover Road towards 'The Spitfire Ground, St Lawrence.' I purchased a ticket online with an early discount priced £16 for Day 2 of the game between Kent and Notts.

As I amble through the gates of one of English cricket's oldest grounds a red ball is sailing up towards the fluffy cloud-leaden skies. Sadly for First-Class debutant Dane Schadendorf it's a comfortably taken catch for Daniel Bell-Drummond. Notts are all out for 433.


It's Luke Fletcher's birthday today. He is amongst one of my favourite all-time Notts players. It was announced a few days ago that the 'Bulwell Bomber' is to leave Trent Bridge at the end of the season. He's fully fired up and roaring in, on what turns out to sadly to be his final ever game for the club. He bags two wickets before lunch is taken.  Kent are rolled out for 225. Resistance comes from former Notts player Joey Evison who scores a stylish and swashbuckling 76 runs. Fletcher has left the field with a side strain.

I'm spending two nights in the Premier Inn, at nearby Faversham, a couple of stops down the line, as hotel prices were extortionate in Canterbury. I tick off three Heritage Pubs in 'Fav' before lights out. The following day I meet a lovely old couple whilst sitting in the 'Colin Cowdrey Stand.' As Kent's middle order collapses they tip me off on the best eateries and hostelries in the area. Notts canter to a ten wicket win. I celebrate in the sun-soaked streets of Canterbury and dine like a king at Ossies chippy back in Faversham.


A bleary-eyed Sticky emerges from his hotel bed at 8 am on Friday. Some buffoon set off the smoke alarm in the middle of the night. All the guests congregated in Reception whilst the farce and false alarm story unravelled. I'm off to Brighton today. Unfortunately it's back into London again and back out of St Pancras on a Thameslink choo choo.

There are clear blue skies on arrival as the sun beams above Brighton. I have a quick half of Harveys bitter in the Prince Albert as I wait for Ms Moon's train to arrive from Haywards Heath, where she has been staying with her brother Andrew and his Great Dane dog, Ted. 


We wander up the seafront, paying a £1 entry fee to gain access to the Palace Pier. I buy some freshly made, piping hot doughnuts, coated in sugar. We dive in and out of some of Brighton's most historic public houses. The Cricketers is the pick of the bunch. We soak up the sunshine as we sit outside and quench our thirst. The evening is spent in Andrew's garden where the drinks flow and the sun sets. A Chinese banquet is hoovered up for supper.

We lounge around in the morning whilst yours truly interrogates the Futbology app in search of a game that's not located too far away, as clogged up traffic around the seaside towns can be a factor that eats into your time. I give a little yelp .. "I've found one."


Andrew lets it slip that Armed Forces sweetheart Dame Vera Lynn is buried somewhere in Sussex. A quick search on Find a Grave website reveals that she is laid to rest with her husband in the churchyard at nearby Ditchling. The grave is at the front of the church. Ms Moon gains bragging rights in finding it first.

Lunch is spent at The Plough in Rottingdean. Thin Lizzy guitarist Gary Moore is buried at the church opposite to where Andrew parks his car. We visited his final resting place on our last visit. After polishing off a ham, cheese and Piccalilli Ciabatta, we're treated to a jaw-dropping scenic drive along the coastline towards the village of Saltdean.


It's £23 on the gate for the three of us including a programme, which I manage to lose as I clamber up the steep grass bank that not only affords you an elevated view of the game, but also a panoramic vista of the Sussex Downs.

Shoreham, from just down the road, are today's visitors for this FA Vase cup tie. It's a lovely ground that's currently under redevelopment. It's blood and thunder football. Andrew is quite happy as he tucks into a few Moretti's. The home side fortuitously take the lead but are deservedly pegged back on the stroke of half time. The visitors batter the home goal but can't find their way past 'golden gloves' in the nets. Two late goals for Saltdean sees them go into the hat for Monday's draw.

People of the Match: The elderly couple at Kent CCC

Attendance: 94 - headcount by Andrew - probs seeing double after all the ale

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

On the money whst a lovely life you lead stevie b dexters

Drew said...

Great read Sticky