Sunday, August 8, 2021

Silsden AFC 0-4 Eccleshill United

 


Welcome back reader or hello if you are new to this parish. Where have you been for the last 15 years? Let's rewind the clock. My last mutterings were prior to Christmas, in the Meadows, inner-city Nottingham. Famous footballers such as ex-Foxes Premier League winning captain Wes Morgan and former Arsenal and Liverpool winger Jermaine Pennant were raised on that tough estate. So what's been happening in the last eight months then?

We got lockdown didn't we? I lost my mojo for football. I lost sight in my right eye too, thanks to a detached retina. 12 months down the line and I'm on the road to recovery. I'm just waiting for a new lense to be fitted. The other eye can then be sorted. The only negative thing to say about this positive outcome is that I'll now be able to see the dire/whack TV programmes that Ms Moon enjoys viewing.

I've been shying away from watching football and cricket as my eyesight is still blurry. I even contemplated retiring this diary. On second thoughts, I'd just end up getting tanked up in craft ale bars on Sunday afternoons in the vicinty of Sneinton Market - or as Tony Mac and I call it, 'The New Covent Garden.'



It's onwards and upwards folks as I throw myself into the new season. I've already ticked off a new ground thanks to the generosity of the 'Big Man' who picked me up at the crack of dawn, along with 'Mad Dog' and drove us out towards the east of the country, to the quaint seaside town of Hunstanton, in Norfolk. 

We had breakfast on the seafront and strolled along the beach in wall-to-wall sunshine at Old Hunstanton, before tucking into a few pints of beer in the village of Heacham. We took a game in there too. What a super friendly club Heacham FC were. They even invited us to the Club barbecue that took place after the match. And what a match it was too, with the visitors from Peterborough clawing three goals back to gain an exciting, high-scoring, 3-3 draw. I can't 'arf pick 'em.

I've not driven my car for a year now - it comes as a massive relief to any motorist in Nottinghamshire who has had the misfortunate of getting stuck behind me, sticking to the speed limits in third gear. Being a bus w***er  has its advantages though and this includes the Ruddington No.10 dropping me bang outside the entrance to my current favourite craft ale bar, Junkyard Bottle Shop and Pour House. It has a bigger beer menu than the Munich Beer Festival - but as Tony Mac quite rightly says "drinking craft ale is not a game for children" and you need to keep your wits about you when you're catching the bus home in Sneinton.


It's Thursday morning and I'm on the No.27 Carlton to Nottingham bus. I alight on King Street and waltz into Bill's on Queen Street for a full English. The place is bustling with folk as it's Day Two of the 1st Test between England and India. After 20 minutes of being seated and ignored by waitering staff I exit the place, giving the manager an earful outside the main door. Greggs will have to do for breakfast.


A rain-interrupted day is spent with the 'Lord Mayor', 'Dafty' and 'Bally' in the 'Yui Energy Stand.' I've been as good as gold all morning and not touched a drop of 'alcohol' that's available on tap. India's number one cricket fan, Jitz Jani, texts me to say 'Dringy', him and a few of the Plumtree CC lads are crossing the water to 'North Bridgford' for a lunchtime session at Sticky's favourite, The Embankment.

We leave our seats with one over remaining. There's a huge cheer as we walk down Hound Road - there's been a wicket at the cricket. We miss three more including a golden duck for Indian captain Virat Kohli - leaving 39 year-old Jimmy 'the Burnley Express' Anderson on a hat-trick. Rain curtails play for the rest of the day - I've not seen a flipping wicket.

I'm back wandering through the city centre on Friday lunchtime. I'm strolling up towards the train station, sporting a 'World in Motion' New Order T-shirt. A drunken, homeless man, clutching a can of strong cider, dances towards me, singing the lyrics of the song. It's a great tactic but I haven't a bean on me to give to him. I'll keep an eye out for him next Friday, as I'm on a real ale trail at Burton Upon-Trent.


I'm at the Ideagen PLC Garden Party - the company who I'm proud to work for. They are a sponsor of Nottingham Forest FC too. I hook up with new colleagues who I haven't met due to lockdown. Again, I'm as good as gold. I have a can of coke (the drink not the powder) - it feels uncomfortable to be supping alcohol at work.

 I soon make up for it in the evening, as I join forces with the Ideagen Baby Squad at The Frame Breakers, on High Street, in the south Notts village of Ruddington. One of the youngsters shouts up 8x shots of 'Baby Guinness' (don't ask me   .. I just drink it to be accepted). The night continues at Junkyard and ends for Sticky Palms in the wonderful Six Barrels in Hockley. A 7.4% IPA can of Ham Sandwich from a brewery in Kent is a lovely way to knock it on the head. My mate, Alex, was enjoying the same tipple, until it was knocked out of his hands by a lass at work - her fourth 'accident' of the evening.


Ms Moon and I are up and at 'em by 9 a.m. on Saturday. We're in the 'Italian Stallion' ( Ms Moon's Fiat 500 with go-faster stripes emblazoned on it). You could flip a coin to choose the quickest route to Ilkley. We opt for the A1 as we fancy a stop-off at the West Yorkshire town of Otley. 

The place is bustling with folk. Ms Moon has got the face-on as there isn't a Costa in sight - I much prefer the smaller, independent places. The good lady queues up for a brew as I take a few snaps. We both enjoy our short time here. A brass band strikes up as I eye up one or two watering holes for our impending overnight stay later in the season.


We're very lucky to grab a table at the glorious Wheatley Arms just outside Ilkley town centre. This Good Pub Guide main entry is hosting a large wedding anniversary celebration. The bar manager squeezes us in before the guests begin to arrive. We've both missed our pre-footy pub lunches during the pandemic. Ms Moon bags a posh fish finger sandwich, whilst I prefer a hot beef panini drenched in onion gravy. 

The good lady (Ms Moon) is well known in this blog for making outlandish sweeping statements. A cover version of the classic 1978 hit 'Love Don't Live Here Anymore' by legendary USA soul group Rose Royce is on the pub i-Pod shuffle. "Jimmy Nail did the best version of this" announces Ms Moon. I choke on my beef and wave frantically at the waiter, gasping for air and gesticulating for water. I wipe sweat from my brow and pop another blood pressure pill. We don't speak until we return to the car.



As we get out of the car at Silsden a cricket match is taking place. By the time we've walked 200 yards two wickets have fallen. The opposing side have been rolled over for 29 runs. I chat to the groundsman and tell him how good the wicket looks - it's the least I can do. To be fair, it looks a belter. Low black clouds have played their part.


It's £6 on the gate for this FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round tie. It's £1.50 for an excellent programme and £1 for a golden goal ticket which I hand to Ms Moon. The ground is a beauty and the views take my breath away; a bit like Jimmy Nail's cover version(s). 


The ground has had tender loving care in abundance. We sit on a bench outside a new building. Sue and I are greeted by friendly vice chairman John Lohan. He has been involved at Silsden for over 30 years and is very proud of the progress made in ground improvements despite having to cope with COVID.

Both teams are in the same League, so the game's expected to be a tight affair. Silsden fluff a few chances early doors. But the visitors begin to grow into the game. They have more structure and a firm game plan. The highlight of the half is a Yorkie Duo at 75p from the tea hut. I chance upon a groundhopper from Stowmarket, in Suffolk. He's also treating his missus to a weekend oop North. Not only that, he's at AFC Emley tomorrow and attending three games up in Scotland midweek - he knows how to look after a lady.


Silsden are poor in the second half as the visitors run riot. Four goals are scored at our end; the second and third are well crafted; just like the ales I'll be supping in Ilkley hostelries this evening.

Attendance: 192

Man of the Match: Left back for the visitors.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry,I agree with your good lady,Jimmy Nail version for me.

Unknown said...

Welcome back